Bienvenidos

Bienvenidos a mi Blog

viernes, 23 de marzo de 2012

Churros in Washington

Thursday was interesting. I am in Washington for a conference, and had a long chat about churros with an old friend from Grad school.

When I visit Madrid, I like to take a once-a-week, mid-morning stroll to one of my favorite little places to savor those incredible churros, delightful any-time desserts. The place is called "Chocolat" on the Calle Santa Ana.

Wonderful establishment with a lovely, quaint space. Very traditional yet inviting. I normally order Chocolate y Churros and read the paper while I eat. The walk from my piso is therapeutic and necessary since the caloric level of this breakfast is quite high. Me viene muy bien. In addition, the walk brings me back to my past, evokes memories of going to eat churros, especially with her. I miss her eyes! And the way she would dip the chocolate. A slight giggle in her voice.

Later in the day usually when I am in Madrid, I head out to the Biblioteca Nacional where I spend the day inspecting a number of incunables and writing. And then I head back to La Latina by way of the "Delic", a bar - café on the Constanilla de San Andrés. Dinner is always late. I collapse.


My friend does not believe this routine. She can´t see me eating churros once a week and feels that the past produces too much cholesterol. It needs to be dropped.

But life goes on. We toast with glasses to the present.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario