Bienvenidos

Bienvenidos a mi Blog

sábado, 17 de diciembre de 2011

Evoking Madrid

Just finished reading a novel by Ben Lerner about Madrid and the inescapable craziness that besets visitors to the city. I was pulled into the world of Adán, as he is called by his Spanish friends-- an America poet on a prestigious scholarship. The evocation of the literary life are humorous as well as  sad. References that reveals the pathetic nature of life and the constant energies that one must marshall to survive.


I knew I was hooked when I read A´s reaction to Van der Weyden´s The Descent from the Cross, one of my favorite painting in the Prado. The visit to the Prado is followed by countless travels thru the urban landscape of Madrid, Granada, and Barcelona. A is challenged by Spain, language, culture, and adult life. The novel develops with insight and humanity. One reviewer stated: "I suspect Adam had it right all along — there must always be a striving for fluency and transparency, but what keeps life interesting is that it will never be achieved."

I love it!

I believe I will send a copy to la noruega in the hopes that she enjoys the delight of discovery and the misery of unfulfilled love.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario